Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Fullness of JOY

When we remove ourselves from the mundane of the day to day tasks and find our schedules more freeing we sometimes become covetous of what we are experiencing and somehow wonder, 'why can't it always be this way?'  The warmth of the sun on our faces, the sand under our feet, the giggles of the children that played contented for hours upon hours and to stare out at the vastness of the ocean and sky and stand in wonder of our God and His creation.  

Then the thought comes again and you may even say it out loud, "Why can't it always be like this?"


















Our last morning on the Island Jeff decided to have our family devotions on the beach.  As we sat there we could feel the sun rising behind us, sand under our feet, and hear the background noise of the waves slowly crashing upon the shore.  Fullness of Joy??? Jeff opens our sword...the word of God.  We take a detour from our daily reading of Joshua and turn to read a Psalm from David;
"The Lord is the portion of my inheritance and my cup;  You support my lot.  The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; Indeed, my heritage is beautiful to me.  I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night.  I have set the Lord continually before me;  Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices;  My flesh also will dwell securely.  For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol;  Nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.  You will make known to me the path of life;  In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."  Psalm 16:5-11


He reads it again... In Your presence is fullness of JOY.  Joy is always there to be found.  In the midst of the mundane He is calling us into His presence.  We don't have to be 1,000 miles away or have an empty calendar to pause and stand in wonder.  His creation beacons us...come.  

In His right hand are pleasures forever.  Jesus, God's Son, is at His right hand; His Son is our pleasures forever.  Do we linger long enough to feel the warmth of the Son on our faces?  We are told several times in the Old Testament that Moses' face became radiant or glowed because he 'had spoken with the Lord' {Exodus 34:29}.  Moses then began to wear a veil after being in the presence of the Lord as not to frighten the Israelites.  I think of what happens when we sit in the sun too long, our skin changes color it may even burn and become red...but glowing?  Then in the New Testament Paul tells the church of Corinth;

 "But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit."  2 Corinthians 3:18 {emphasis mine}

In the hustle and bustle that life can bring won't you pause with me to enjoy these forever pleasures as we set the Lord continually before us?  Won't you linger a little longer in His presence while your face starts to radiate and mirror the glory of the Lord?  And there my friend, right there in His presence, no matter where you are in life, is fullness of JOY.

No comments: