Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Meekness

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart:  and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  Matthew 11:28-30

The word meek in this passage is the Greek word Cognate: 4235 práosmeek, i.e. the necessary balance of exercising power and avoiding harshness. See 4236 (praotēs).

Ancient Greeks used this word to describe a stallion that was broken and could be ridden.  One commentator writes, "The horse was perfectly trained and ready, it would obey the master, the rider, no matter what was going on around it, so that it could be trusted in the heat of battle not to do something stupid or foolish;  once the rider knew that he could trust the animal, and it would obey him no matter what, he called it a meek horse even though it could have been a powerful, thoroughbred stallion, capable of killing enemies in battle."

I've heard others describe a meek war horse as one that can be ridden without a bridle.  With just a nudge of the knee to direct the horse into battle so the rider or master could easily carry more weapons instead of having to hold onto the reigns.



In the above passage, Jesus is declaring himself as being meek.  We see his meekness as we read other passages like these;

"I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does."  John 5:19

"For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me."  John 6:38

And just as the war horse was trained for battle and even to march forward possible unto his death, so was our Redeemer.

"My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me.  Yet not as I will, but as you will."  Matthew 26:39

The only other person mentioned in the bible as being meek was Moses {Numbers 12:3}   One verse that sticks out to me showing Moses' meekness is found in Exodus 33 after Aaron had made the golden calf for the Israelites to worship and the Lord had said He would not go with them any further.

"Then Moses said to him {The Lord},"If your presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here." Exodus 33:15

Moses knew that the Lord was his master, the rider that was guiding him into battle.  He also knew that the Isrealites and himself were nothing without their master, only a wild stallion not prepared for the battle that lied ahead.


Meekness is not weakness!
Meekness takes great strength.
Meekness is trusting in our Lord even when it seems hopeless.
Meekness is finding rest in the Creator of our souls and submitting to His will.

'This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength."  Isaiah 30:15
The Lord told the Isrealites that they will be strengthened as they trust in Him.  I believe the same is true for us today.


Oh Father,  my desire is to fully TRUST You, the one who knit me together.  To find rest in your loving arms knowing that You are in control and the master of my life.  Lord if there are still areas of my life that I am holding onto the reigns, please show me.  I don't want to live as a wild stallion but as a meek horse ready for battle fully trusting in my rider.

1 comment:

Ed Major said...

Thank you for taking the time to do what you do. I will be preaching at the inner city mission where I work on Sunday. Your comments on meekness have helped me visualize the concept and will help me be effective in what I do.

By the way where did you get the version of the Doxology that is on your playlist. It is very beautiful.