Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Knowing Christ

"Progress in the Christian life is exactly equal to the growing knowledge we gain of the Triune God in personal experience.  And such experience requires a whole life devoted to it and plenty of time spent at the holy task of cultivating God.  God can be known satisfactorily only as we devote time to Him."

"The Christian is strong or weak depending upon how closely he has cultivated the knowledge of God."

"A thousand distractions would woo us away from thoughts of God, but if we are wise we will sternly put them from us and make room for the King and take time to entertain Him.  Some things may be neglected with but little loss to the spiritual life, but to neglect communion with God is to hurt ourselves where we cannot afford it."    A.W. Tozer - The Root of Righteousness


"But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ.  What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.  I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ - the righteousness that comes from God and by faith.  I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead."  Philippians 3:7-11


Tozer says of the apostle Paul, "He devoted his whole life to the art of knowing Christ."  That, that is the life I desire to live.  I long to be a Mary and choose what is most important; to sit at my Saviors feet and feast upon His every word.  May my heart echo what the Psalmist says, "My heart yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and flesh cry out for the living God." Psalm 84:2  



I looked out our window this morning at our field of sun flowers, most of them facing eastward, waiting in expectancy for their source of life to arise.   Their heads follow the sun throughout the day gaining more strength and nourishment.  Our source of life is found only in Him who created the Sun and gave it it's power.  May we rise each morning in expectation of meeting with the Living God and keeping our eyes and minds focused on Him throughout the day gaining more strength and nourishment.




1 comment:

Anita said...

AMEN!!!!!