Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Homemade Deodorant {Tutorial}

We have made our own deodorant for close to 6 months now.  It is much easier than I ever thought it would be and so much healthier for our bodies.  My husband and I were really surprised at how well it works.  The real test will be summer!!!  

Step#1 - Collect your materials.

You'll need 3-5 basic ingredients:  Coconut oil, baking soda and arrowroot powder.


If you prefer a scent then you can add your favorite mix of 1 or 2 kinds of essential oils.  I used orange and lemon.  However, the citrus caused my husband to break out in a rash so I now make his without the oils until I can find some that he doesn't react to.


We saved old deodorant tubes  and cleaned them out as best as we could.


Step #2 - melt 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil.


Step #3  - Add 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/4 cup of arrow root powder.


Step # 4 - Stir with a fork to combine.


Step #5 - At this point if you want to add essential oils then now is the time to do it.  I added 7 drops of lemon and 7 drops of orange for mine but for my husband I just left plain.


Step #6 - Make sure your deodorant tube is scrolled down as far as it will go and then pour the mixture in.




Step #7 - Let harden.  I make mine in the evening and let it sit overnight.  It is then ready for use in the morning.


That's it!!!  Really easy and works wonderfully.  Next on the list to try is homemade toothpaste.

Homemade Deodorant

4 T. coconut oil
1/4 c. baking soda
1/4 c. arrow root powder
14 drops of your favorite essential oils
1 large empty tube of deodorant or a small jar

*Melt coconut oil in small glass bowl.  Add baking soda and arrow root powder and mix with fork.  If you want to add a scent then add your favorite combination and mix well.  Then pour the mixture into an empty deodorant tube or small glass jar and allow to harden. 

This recipe was originally taken and slightly adapted from Beauty that moves.

Linked-up with:  
Homemaking Link-Up Encourage One Another Our Simple Farm Wise Woman Link-Up

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Hhmm..may have to try this. You all smell fine to me :)
I dreamed about your family last night..we were at your house for a birthday party. You were already in pj's and brushing your teeth for bed. It was all pretty strange!

Dianna said...

Thanks for sharing this. I have been wanting to try homemade deodorant.

Renee said...

Thanks, Jenn!!! I'm not sure if we've got the right ingredients down here but I'm going to check because we would love to try this!!! I'll be waiting for the toothpaste recipe too!! By the way, you're taking GREAT pictures!!! Love you, my friend!

Janelle said...

I'll have to try this-I've been looking for a good homemade recipe, but haven't found anything this easy :)

Scyt Rac said...

really i have to say that it is useful info for the person who need Miessence deodorant and organic products detail..Homemade.. amazing
Thanks for the psot

Organic deodorant said...

Excellent tips. Really useful stuff .Never had an idea about this..these tips are very useful
Thanks for this information

Scyt Rac said...

Good work... valuable information...will look for more updates on Miessence organic products..
Thanks