Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Beef Vegetable Soup or Snow Fly Soup





 Last week we woke up to this gorgeousness.


 
When the snow starts to fly, something inside of me longs for a nice warm bowl of soup.  It's this time of the year that I am so thankful we took the time to garden and preserve some of our harvest.  I love being able to put a meal together from my pantry.  This particular soup I added cabbage.  I'm finding that I really enjoy cabbage the older I get.  It definitely adds to the flavor.   


Beef Vegetable Soup or Snow Fly Soup

1 qt. canned beef or 1lb. hamburger (browned)
1/2 - 1 onion, chopped
1 t. minced garlic
2 qt. stewed Tomatoes
1 qt. tomato sauce or juice
1 qt. bag frozen green beans
1 qt. bag of frozen corn
1/4 head of cabbage cut into thin strips
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 can of kidney, lima or pinto beans (really any bean that you have on hand will do)
1t. chili powder
1 t. garlic salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. salt

Mix all ingredients into a large pot.  Bring to a low boil on med.-high heat.  Once at a boil, bring temperature down to a simmer for as little as a half hour to as long as a few hours.  I notice the longer I let it simmer the more tasty it becomes.

One thing with soups is it's hard to make a bad pot.  Oh, I've done it before, but it's really hard.  :)  If you don't have an ingredient, be creative and add something you do have {that would go good in a soup of course}.  If it's not flavored enough, add more spices to your liking.

Serving suggestions:

We served ours with Herbed oatmeal pan bread which was DELICIOUS!!!
You could also serve with No-knead french bread or biscuits


"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." Revelation 4:11

Linked with:  Homemaking Link-Up Encourage One Another Our Simple Farm Wise Woman Link-Up 

Teach Me Tuesdays

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely enchanting and inspiring and so peaceful!!!! Thank you for the beautiful recipes and song and beauty that has started my day off perfectly! Thinking on God, Family, Home and Hearth. So beautiful!!!! THANK YOU!!!! GOD BLESS YOU!!!!