Monday, June 18, 2012

Modesty Spotlight - Guestpost

I am honored to be featured on Hannah's blog.  Thank you again for hosting me on your modesty spotlight.  

Modesty is something that the Lord has been growing in me over the last several years.  He is refining me in this area.  I still have much to learn, but I also want to be used as His vessel to share why modesty is so valuable.  Here are a few reasons why I believe that modesty is of great worth in God's eyes.

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4

1.  We have the blessed opportunity to shine in our dark world as we adorn ourselves with humility and grace instead of the latest fashion {Matthew 5:14}. I hear it said often that we should dress to express ourselves, but as Christians, we are not representing ourselves.  Dressing for the latest fashion and trying to keep up with the styles can be very self motivating which the bible calls pride.  Once we become His followers, the Holy Spirit becomes apart of our DNA.  Our expression of dress should be to show who we are through Him who has set us free.  We should be clothing ourselves with humility and not trying to draw attention to our outward beauty.

If you'd like to read the rest of this post and check out some of my modest/frugal outfits, please click here

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Love, love, love your outfits, Jennie. I was featured on Hannah's blog last week. It was alot of fun! :)
Have a blessing-filled week. :)

Mrs. B said...

Thank you so much for this post. I love all of your modesty posts! I was raised wearing jeans, shorts, tshirts, whatever was comfortable and somewhat in. In my late 30's the Lord started speaking to my heart about this. I'm now in my early 40's and this is still something that doesn't come easily for me. So...I always sooo appreciate encouragement and inspiration!! Thank you!!

Mrs. B said...

Also....I wanted to ask you...do you always wear dresses, even if you're staying home all day?? I am so much more comfortable working around the house, not wearing a dress...but I have heard it said that we should be examples for our children and for anyone who stops in...and up until the last 30 years, ladies always did it that way...what are your thoughts?? Thank you!!

Homestead Living said...

Good question Mrs. B. I wear skirts 90% of the time. The more I wear them the more comfortable I feel in them. The first time I mopped the floor in a skirt I found out it wasn't near as challenging as I thought it would be. Now mowing the lawn is harder because of the wind, so I now wear capris for that task. If I know I'll be working in the flower beds and bending over a lot or on a roof helping my husband, then pants would be the more modest outfit.
Skirts make me feel more like a lady, and I personally enjoy that feeling. And yes, our children are ALWAYS watching.
I hope that answered your question.