Thursday, May 17, 2012

Why I wear skirts? - Part 2 - Embracing Femininity

God created both men and women to be the same in our worth but we each represent different attributes of Him that compliment each other.  God is gallant, strong, and protective.  These attributes he has given to the man.  God also has a desire to be cherished and sought after.  These attributes we see in a woman.  Man was not created to be better than woman in his value nor was woman created to be the climax of creation.  It is the unity of the male and female that God finally said, "it is very good." Genesis 1:31

Eve was created to be a 'help meet' to Adam.  To correspond him, complete him. This is an example for all women.  We are created to be our husband's, father's or brother's helper.  This is our mold.  We cannot escape it.  We can compete against it and demand our rights as women, but then we would be fighting against God's perfect design and plan for our lives and wind up miserable in the end.
  
Biblical femininity goes beyond our outward appearance.  It is much deeper than wearing skirts or sipping tea.  It transcends the image of women living in a pink world and men living in a blue one.   

My four beautifully knit daughters and I heading to a Mother and daughter banquet.
Biblical femininity starts in our hearts.  It starts when we decide to stop fighting against who we were created to be and start rejoicing in our design.  It starts when we decide to submit to our God given authority.  It starts when we chose to put away our rights and live to compliment someone else.  This is when we will find the most contentment because it is what we were created to be

God has recently given me a passion to embrace my femininity while living in a culture where the gender lines are continually becoming extremely blurred.  God didn't accidentally create me to be a woman.  He was very intentional about that decision.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:13-14.  
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart."  Jeremiah 1:5
Wearing skirts is not a biblical mandate like I stated in part 1.  The bible does say that a woman must not wear men's clothes nor a man should wear women's clothing {Deuteronomy 22:5}.  I believe this is telling us that we should look distinctly different from one another in our dress.

The bible also tells us that as Christians, we are to clothe ourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ and not to think about gratifying the desires of our sinful nature {Romans 13:14}.  It says that we are to be separate from the world {2 Corinthians 6:17}.  We are the light of the world, a city on a hill that cannot be hidden {Matthew 5:14}.

To the woman specific is says:

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and find clothes.  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."  1Peter 3:3-4
"I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.  A woman should learn in quietness and full submission."  1Timothy 2:6
This is a very different image than what the world is telling us.  Beauty is an attribute of God.  We look all around us and we see beauty in all of His creation.  Yet when sin entered the world we took that beauty and distorted it.  To add to the distortion of beauty, we have allowed feminism to creep it's way into our churches and even our homes without realizing it.  It's in the air we breath.  And what we tolerate we will ultimately accept. 


Whether we purpose to or not, our dress is sending a message to others.  I've heard someone say that sassy on the outside is sassy on the inside.  That would be the same with humility on the outside is humility on the inside.  The world around us is a mess and living in darkness as the bible says.  As a Christian woman, I have the blessed opportunity to shine in the darkness and send a magnificent message to the world.

The message I hope to send with my dress is that I am delighted to be part of God's perfect plan and glory in my God given design.  That modesty is something so beautiful and of great value in God's sight.  Femininity can look radiant and not restrictive and dull.  I can show different aspects of God like; artistic, refinement, orderly, discernment, modesty, humility and harmony. 


I want to also add that as a wife or a daughter, we should be in submission to our God given authority {husbands or parents}, and not the latest trends.  I'm not merely talking about the worldly fashions here alone, I'm talking about the style's that would make us appear to have more spiritual wisdom.  Unfortunately, our heart is desperately wicked {Jeremiah 17:9}.  We must guard our heart's above all else {Proverbs 4:23}.   It is important for us to allow God to clean us from the inside out.  Otherwise we are no greater then the Pharisees.   Submission and self-control starts in.our.hearts.

I don't want you to take away that I said you must wear skirts to have biblical femininity.  That is not the point here.  My desire is to share my own personal experience with you about why I prefer to wear them.  This is a topic that should be dealt with in two manners.  We should pray to the Lord as we read His word and find answers, and we ask our husbands what they prefer us to wear.  We are under their protection and authority.  Does your husband prefer you to look more feminine?  Does he enjoy your hair long?  Does he delight when you where make-up?  I'm sure more than anything he is most attracted to you when you wear a smile around.  Good news, that is the easiest thing to put on!

More importantly than showing the world that we embrace our femininity is to live it out in our homes.  To be that 'help meet' to our husbands.  Teaching our daughters how they can be a 'help meet' to their father's and brother's.  We have the ability to be wise and compliment the masculinity in our homes just as easily as we can be foolish and tear them down {Proverbs 14:1}. 

If this biblical femininity is new to you and you'd like another resources to help guide you to fully know and embrace your God given design, then I highly recommend She Shall Be Called Woman By Victoria Botkin.  This is a 9 hour CD or MP3 series.  I am still working my way through it.  Thanks so much Kim, for lending this inspirational set to me.  I would also recommend finding an older {wiser} woman and asking her to mentor you, or to be a Titus 2 teacher.  We can learn so much from these ladies.  Don't be afraid to ask.

Linking-up with: Deep Roots At Home, Raising Homemakers, Far Above Rubies, A Wise Woman Builds Her House , Time-Warp Wife, growing home, and The Modest Mom. and feminine Friday & Titus Tuesdays  and our simple country life & Feminine Friday

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Excellent post, Jennie, especially the part about asking our husbands what they prefer us to wear. My hubby is my sounding board when it comes to what I wear. If I can get his approval, then I know it's ok. :)
And btw, thanks for stopping by and visiting me. :)
Many blessings!

Collette said...

Hi! Popping over from Growing Home - I enjoyed your post. I've been considering making the switch to skirts-only for my family, you've encouraged me today. Do you have any favorite shopping/sources you could recommend for yourself (especially) and your daughters? This has been my biggest challenge to officially making the switch. :)
You have a beautiful family! Blessings to you!
~Collette

Cornerstone Confessions said...

This is becoming my goal...to become more feminine. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm definitely going to save this post to come back for a reminder later. I'd love to have you link this up on Titus 2 Tuesday on Cornerstone Confessions.

Hopping over from Growing Home.

Kathy

Homestead Living said...

This is an excellent question, Collette. When I first started wearing skirts I would stop by Good Will just to check out their skirt section. This can be a very quick stop.

Another thing I did was I found someone who was a similar size and style to my own who wore lots of skirts. I then asked her to let me know when she was getting rid of some of her clothes. This happens to be my cousin, so it was easier to ask then a friend or acquaintance, but you will never know until you ask. Same would go for your daughters. Most people would love the opportunity to sell their clothes to someone without having to mess with a garage sale!

Garage sales are my good friend!!! For me and my daughters. I pray before we leave the house and ask God to direct us to the right sales. That may sound silly, but I am always amazed that when we have a specific request, we usually find what we need.

Layering works wonderful. I have found several tutorials on how to transform capris into skirts. Be creative and have a watchful eye. It may take awhile to build up your closet.

~Jennie

Dusty said...

This is a wonderful post. :) Our family has been switching to wearing mostly skirts to honor God's wishes for feminity as well. My husband does prefer us to wear pants on certain occasions though (hiking, working in the garden, etc.) so we won't wear them 100% of the time, but already, even wearing them only 4-5 days a week has been a blessing to us. :) I'm your newest follower.

Janine LaTulippe said...

That is the new style these days isn't it; to try and escape the natural mold God has made for us. I believe that Femininity is looked down upon. Just by following God's will and submitting ourselves to Him and our husbands, we offend those who choose to compete against it. However, we should demand our rights. The right to be the women God intended us to be; supporters of men. I feel that my right to embrace femininity is being assaulted by people who have deemed my womb as a legal kill zone, who have devalued my role as a mother and keeper of the home, who have indoctrinated me to feel less than a man if I do not exult the same attributes as him and who have lied to me about my physical abilities making me vulnerable. Thank you for humbly and graciously showing us what God's will for women is and how we can start following Him through embracing our femininity.

Janine LaTulippe said...

New Follower!

Lisa said...

What beautiful girls God has blessed you with! And they look so feminine in their skirts and dresses. Wouldn't it be nice if all girls and women wore dresses again? We love to watch "Leave it to Beaver" and it makes me yearn for those days when men were men and women (and girls)were women. Wonderful blog. Happy to become a follower. Keep up the good work!

Susan Godfrey said...

I love this post. I've been wearing skirts now for over 6 years and I wouldn't have it any other way now. I just so much more comfortable in them. I would love if you would share it at my Feminine Friday link-up, I know my readers will benefit from it!

http://susangodfrey.com/biblical-response-to-feminism-part-1-feminine-friday-link-up-party/

Blessings!
Susan

Kristy Quinn said...

Hi, I'm Kristy. I stumbled upon your Blog at a Blog hop last night. <3 Your daughters are beautiful. :) I am a mom to 5 girls. I love wearing skirts even though I wasn't raised wearing them. On the contrary, I was raised being allowed to wear immodest clothing. I was also a professional singer which didn't help. 6 years ago God put it on my heart just how important it is that there are mom's out there raising their daughters to reflect His love, both in spirit and in dress. We don't wear skirts all the time. Our finances haven't allowed for it and I don't know how to sew well, but we all love wearing skirts and would chose to wear them almost all the time. It is my eldest who I struggle with. She grew up with the immodest, teenage mom. It affected her greatly. :/ Life is a journey... and God hears prayer. You have beautiful daughters and I enjoyed reading your post. <3

Kristy

http://raisinggodlydaughters-kristy.blogspot.com/

http://happyhomemakingwithkristy.blogspot.com/

Laura @ Laura Williams Musings said...

My girls and I are skirts/dresses only. My husband prefers me in a skirt and nice blouse rather than a jumper and a blouse or a dress. His opinion is what I ask for when I am in doubt of an outfit.

Susan Godfrey said...

Wonderful post! I've been dresses/skirts mostly (I wear pants for farm chores and the like) for nearly 8 years and love it. It's always nice to find other women with the same conviction. Thank you for sharing this post with Feminine Friday for 05/25/2012! I'd love to invite you back this Friday as well!

http://www.susangodfrey.com

Blessings!
Susan Godfrey

Анна Макарчук said...

I say "amen" to every word here. Lisa, you've written my thoughts =)