Friday, April 6, 2012

What The Camera Isn't Good At Catching

For some reason it is easy for us to show the world all of our good and tuck away that stuff that we would rather them not see.  I desire this place to be a place of encouragement and where you can find hope, but I also want it to be a place where I can be authentic.  Because real living doesn't always look perfect and neither are we living in a perfect world. 

"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness." 2 Corinthians 11:30

"But he said unto me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong"  2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Although I can't even begin to relate to the suffering, hardships or persecutions that the apostle Paul encountered,  I can relate to the fact that I have weaknesses, many of them, and my prayer is that God will be manifested even more when I boast concerning them.  I am also confident that:

"He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."  Philippians 1:6

Back to the matter at hand.  Here is a picture I took one morning of our center piece:


Such a pretty picture!  This shows me to be a good wife and mother that brings in fresh cut lilac's for my families enjoyment, right?  Now I will show you how a single picture can be deceiving.  Let me take a few steps back and give you a broader view:


 And then some more... Yes, some of us enjoy cereal for breakfast even though we have laying hens:


And again:


I was having so much fun that I just started looking for areas that I could "BOAST" about.


What the camera isn't good at catching?

-My piles that sometimes take on the appearance of a mountain. 
-Gum stuck to furniture.
-Stains on the carpet...and there are many.
-Cobwebs that I only seem to see when I have company over.
-Shoes that no one seems to know where they go.


-The little guy who is testing his momma for the 12th time that day, just in case she decides to cave in and let him have control of his own life...thank you very much.
-The garage that has a path to walk in.  How many things with wheels and chicken boots does one family need?  :)
-The laundry that occasionally takes on the appearance of a monster.
-The dust that never goes away.



-The bathroom that I just cleaned 3 days ago.
-Lunch that is 1/2 hr. late again, because I'm really good at being consistent in all the wrong areas.
-The baby who would rather I just attach her to my hip.
-The constant need to referee in relationships.
-The fingernail polish spills.


-The bad attitudes in big and little people.  {Sorry, I don't have one of me throwing a fit}


Here are some more pictures, just for fun. :)

Jack found some lipstick.

Someone found the glue bottle and broke a frame.

This usually happens the morning after I mop the floor.  :)
Lillie and Jack showing early signs of their companionship.
  If you think I am taking this opportunity to complain, let me reassure you that complaining is not my objective here.  I do however want to show you that we are a normal family just like you and we have unseen messes {physically, spiritually and emotionally} that by His Grace, he is helping us grow and find rest in His arms.  The Lord is also showing us how to find joy even amongst all our ugliness and that, my friend, is a beautiful gift!  

3 comments:

kelly said...

AMEN!! thank you this makes me feel normal too. i love that we all can show our life in pictures but we all have a mess too. and mess is ok, i think it shows life and love!! love ya!! =)

Havilah said...

Oh.my. I can totally relate to this post! Thanks for the laughter and tears. It's comforting to know that though all of us mommies have different talents and gifts, struggles, personalities, and teaching styles...some things are still universal...like spilled milk, meltdowns, and jam smears. Bless you, dear friend.

Valerie Hainline said...

Thanks so much for this Post Jennie! I started out laughing inside and then laughing on the outside and then crying as I read. This was perfect for me to read as I had one of those mornings of breaking up little boys not wanting to treat one another with happy hearts. Very refreshing to read as they take a nap and I can be refreshed when they awake.

What a wonderful reminder to focus on the "big" picture that life is most of the time messy, but it is what we make of those messes that matters most. Most importantly keeping a God focused heart!