Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Special Moments Strengthening Hearts

 "O my son, give me your heart. May your eyes take delight in following my ways." Proverbs 23:26
 The more children that God has given to us the more difficult we have found to have special times with each child individually.  We feel that this is important in order to help hear and speak more clearly into the heart of each of our precious children.  At the same time we realize that the bible says "Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.  Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.  Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them." {Psalm 127:3-5} This verse reminds us that God realized parents would be stretched and time would be of great value.

I started to pray for wisdom in accomplishing this task.  At the same time I started reading a biography on the life of Susanna Wesley.  Susanna gave birth to 19 children but only 9 of them lived to adult hood.  She gave each one of her children 1 hour a week to spend in nurturing their hearts and guiding them intimately to the Lord.

This idea gave me inspiration.  Now each one of my children {except the youngest two for now} have a special day of the week that is their own.  Here are some of the things that make it so special:

-They get to sit at the favorite chair during meal times. {right beside daddy and directly across from momma}
-They are mother's right hand person in the kitchen {which is a treat so far}.
-They are able to go with me to the mail box and retrieve the mail.
-They are allowed to sit right next to me during our read-aloud times.
-The child and I try to have a special time in the afternoon {while little ones are asleep} to read, drink tea, chat about things on their heart and I am able to pray for and with each of my uniquely and beautifully designed children.

This is our plan.  The Lord also knows that life can happen and some of these things are not able to be met every time it is their 'special day'.  We are all learning to give and receive grace around here.

Let us remember that during this time, when our homes are bustling with the fullness of life, memories are being formed in all of our minds with the moments of our days.  Let us spend those moments well!

What are some ways you have found to have special times with your children?

Linked-up with;Raising Homemakers, Deep roots at home, Far Above Rubies, A Wise woman builds her house, Growing Home and Time-warp wife.

4 comments:

kelly said...

i love this idea, jenn!! love you all!! =)

hannahw said...

what a great idea--I'll have to remember this aswe have more children.

I found you through Teach Me Tuesday's link-up! Here is my craftiness of the week:
http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-tuesday-bunnys-birthday-dress.html

Alecia said...

We have two, so it is easier for us to get that quality time in. One thing that we are starting is to each of us take one child and do something special with them. Then the next month switch. This way we each get a turn with each child.

Janelle said...

That's a great idea. I struggle with that sometimes too. Maybe I'll set days of the week for them too :) Thanks for sharing!

During the boys' spring break they helped me make the dinner menu and then they each helped fix dinner one night. It was fun! I need to do that more.