Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meal Planning

I've had several questions lately concerning meal planning, so  I thought I would share how we go about planning meals for our large family.

**{Disclosure}**  I must first tell you that I am pretty good at coming up with plans but I am not so good at keeping up with the plan.  I still have days that I find myself asking..."What am I fixing for supper?"  I have found for myself that I must keep the plan in full view or plastered to the fridge where I see it often along with my grocery list.

I made a spread sheet on the computer, using the guide below, that gave us two months worth of evening meal ideas.  I then came up with a weekly breakfast and lunch plan that we repeat every week.  This makes grocery shopping much easier.

If you like to shop for items that are on sale, then use the list as a guide to see what you will have that week.   Another money saving tip would be to buy vegetables and fruits that are in season.  You can plant spinach and a variety of other plants and lettuce in garden containers and set them on your porch or patio.

Breakfast:

Sundays - Pancakes and sausage links {made by daddy}

Mondays - Eggs, bacon and toast.  I cut my bacon up in small chunks into the skillet and stir-fry them.  Once they are done I drain off some of the grease and then crack my eggs right on top stirring to make scrambled eggs with bacon chunks.  I usually top with cheese and serve on toast.

Tuesdays - Biscuits and gravy.

Wednesdays -  Cereal and milk.

Thursdays - Eggs, bacon and toast.

Fridays - Whole wheat banana muffins.

Saturdays - Depending on how ambitious I feel we may have something like cinnamon rolls, bubble bread or pecan sticky rolls...or we may just have cereal and milk.

Pecan Sticky Rolls


Lunch:

Sundays - Crock pot or out to eat if we have any gift certificates or children eat free specials.

Mondays - Cold meat sandwiches/PB & J, chips, veggies/fruit.

TuesdaysGrilled cheese and tomato soup, veggies/fruit.

Wednesdays - Chili dogs and tater tots, veggies/fruit.

Thursdays - Cheese Quesadillas, veggies/fruit.

Fridays - Cold meat sandwiches/PB & J, chips, veggies/fruit. 

Saturdays - Left overs or any of the above.

Colorific Salad
 Supper:

Sundays - We snack on these days or eat left overs.


Mondays - Think easy...grill something if warm and have soup if cold.  Serve with French bread and a salad and your good to go.  If your garden is overflowing with tomatoes and cucumbers then make sure to try these fresh salad recipes.

Tuesdays - Think Mexican...Tacos, enchiladas, quesadilla, taco salad, tostadas.  Serve with Spanish rice, corn and southwest salad.

Wednesdays - Think Beef...Meat balls or loaf, roast, poor mans steak, salisbury steak.  Serve with a vegetable, biscuits and a salad.

Thursdays - Think Italian...spaghetti, lasagna, fettuccine alfredo, stromboli, cavatini.  Serve with garlic bread, a vegetable and an Italian salad.

Fridays - This day for us is our Pizza / Game / Movie family night.

Saturdays - Think Chicken or pork...Oven fried chicken, pork loin, chicken stir-fry, ham steaks, pork chops, warm chicken salad sandwiches.  Serve with sweet potatoes or oven roasted veggies, biscuits and a salad.

Chicken Enchilada

I hope this helps you as you set up your meal plan.

Linked up with - Deep Roots at Home and Raising Homemakers.

2 comments:

Jacquelin said...

I just found your blog a few days ago and I have been reading through your posts. Thank you for posting how you do your meals, this has been such a blessing for me as I struggle in this area. Thus plan of your has given me a start...thanks again!

Renee said...

Jenn, I have visited this post more than once! It is so helpful to me to read your fresh ideas - I tend to get stuck when it comes to meal planning - especially as I am short on time while studying. I can't wait to have a bit more time to concentrate on things like new recipes!!! Love you!!!