Friday, February 17, 2012

Lessons Learnt On Educating At Home

 We've been educating at home now for 6 years and I'm still learning so much on this topic.  God is continuing to use educating at home to mature and stretch me.  I know I have so far to go, but I am so thankful for where I am now compared to when we first started this journey.  Here are some areas that God has strengthened in me lately:


~I must trust my provider.  He is the one who has called us to this task, and He will provide us with all we need to fulfill it.  The more we know the one whom we call Providence, the more we can find rest in His arms and know that He will carry us through.   

"I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord."  Philippians 4:9

~The Lord is the builder of our home.  Merely choosing to educate at home isn't a sure answer to raise godly children.  It is one of the easiest ways to disciple our children.  We must realize that it Jesus who is going to do the work in our children's hearts as we entrust them to His care .   

"Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain."  Psalms 127:1

~I'm learning to recognize interruptions as divine interventions. He knows all of our days and all of the interruptions that come with them.  He knows that the baby will need to be changed right in the middle of a math problem or the toddler will need disciplined right when we all sit down to start reading.  Through these interruptions, our children are learning what real life is all about!  As the mother, I am able to teach my children how to respond with love and kindness or I can teach them to be very irritated when little ones take me from other work.  Modeling Christ like behavior is much more valuable then reading about Christ-like behavior.   

"For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

~I'm learning to reject all the voices that would cause fear to rise up within.  As we draw nearer to Christ, the louder His voice becomes.  We must listen to His voice wholeheartly and reject anything that would allow fear to rise up with in us.  The Lord is not the author of fear.  Example: Some kind women shares with you what curriculum they are using and how well it seems to be working for their family.  That in itself isn't a bad thing.  Sometimes it's good to hear what works and what doesn't from others.  However, our enemy can be very sneaky and start to use those suggestions to place doubt and fear in our minds and hearts.  Then we feel like maybe we have chosen the wrong curriculum and perhaps we need to change and...and...and.   We may not be able to control all of the thoughts that sneak their way into our minds, but we do have a choice to entertain them or not.   

"we take captive every thought to make it obedience to Christ."  2 Corinthians 10:5b

~I'm learning that educating at home doesn't have to be stressful.  In fact, if it is becoming to stressful then perhaps I am putting to many unnecessary expectations upon myself....possibly due to fear and doubt.  I must face the fact that there will be gaps in my child's education.  There are gaps in a public school education as well.  But God is so faithful and my children will become exactly what He has planned for them to become in-spite of all my failures and weaknesses.  I still have a responsibility to give my children a good education, but it doesn't have to mimic the public school system.  God has placed in each one of us a natural curiosity.  Learning is a part of life.  I am amazed at how much I am still learning along with my children.  I have enjoyed educating myself on the different styles of education and think we may have finally found our style.   

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and lean from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls."  Matthew 11:29

What are some areas that the Lord has taught you through home education?

Linking-up with: Deep Roots At Home, Raising Homemakers, Far Above Rubies, A Wise Woman Builds Her House , Time-Warp Wife and  These Five of Mine and Consider the Lilies

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Great Post. I'm in my second year or homeschooling, and I've been really stressing about next year. So far I only have one school age daughter, and for the most part she can go off and do her work independently. Next year however, my very strong willed 4 year old will join the homeschool ranks, and I will just have given birth to our 5th child (not including my stepdaughter). I will also have to try to manage a 1 and 3 year old at the same time, and I was really starting to fret about how to manage, and if I was getting the right curriculum and...you get the picture. ;) So thank you for this, it has gotten me back on track and reminded me why I'm doing this, and what's important.

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

Great lessons! I'm a little further down on my journey. This is my 22nd year of homeschooling but there are always lessons God teaches me and how He refocuses me. Thanks for sharing yours today.

MB@NewLifeSteward said...

Sounds like you are learning some lessons applicable to all of life from homeschooling!

Mary Beth
newlifesteward.com