Thursday, December 29, 2011

A Caution

Photo Credit
2012 is only a few days away.  I started pencil scratching some goals for the new year.  As many of you, I have started a list of books I'd like to glean wisdom from.   One of the books, Passionate Housewives Desperate for God, I received as a Christmas present and started it just this morning. 

In the second chapter of this book, Stacy McDonald, warns homemakers about what we allow to fill our minds and hearts.  I thought it was only fitting that I share with you some of the dangers in reading the wrong material.

As Christian mothers and wives, there is a large array of self help books and individuals readily awaiting to give us their opinion.  We must choose carefully the authors and ideas we choose to read and listen to.  In Titus 2:4, we clearly see that it is good to glean wisdom and training from godly woman who have walked before us.  But if we walk away feeling discontented in our calling as a keeper of our home, instead of encouraged or even challenged, then perhaps it's time we find a new source.  Some self help books can also sow discontentment and bitterness in the hearts of tired and weak homemakers, frazzled by all of their responsibilities.  They can leave us feeling more dissatisfied as they sympathize with us and demand we find more "me time" rather than challenging us to find ourselves in the ones God gave to us.

"When we invite these spiritual coddlers to our pity party, they are lively and active guests.  Full of flattery and sugary promises, they pat us on the back and offer us microwave motherhood - a fast and easy fix essentially void of any nutrition or taste - and, in the end do more damage than just clogging the arteries.  They confuse the thinking and shipwreck the faith of vulnerable women."  Stacy McDonald

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ."  Col. 2:8  (Emphasis added)

Our first book that we should always run to is our source of strength, the Word of God.  We should turn to Scripture for truth and wisdom.  He generously gives to those who ask (James 1:5).  Make sure that what you are reading lines up with scripture.  Allow His Holy Word to "renew your mind" (Romans 12:2).  Pray fervently and ask God to give you a deep hunger for His Word.
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart." Jeremiah 29:13 
"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God."  Psalm 42:1-2


"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."  Psalm 63:1-2

4 comments:

Jedidja said...

Thanks for the wise lesson!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Loved this book. I need to reread it!

Lots of great wisdom.

Kim said...

So true! The "meisms" can get you if you aren't careful.

I have found, as a Christian woman, that I can't read a lot of the material printed today. So many authors deminish the role of wife and mother. They encourage stepping away from our husband and children to "do" more important things for God. This is wrong.


Blessings,
Kim

Prov.4:23

Bambi said...

Wise words, thank you!

Thanks for linking up at In the Nursery of the Nation!