Thursday, October 13, 2011

Life Isn't Always a Piece of Cake


This past month has been a bit of a challenge for me.  I've been tempted to dine with fear.  The Lord uses every circumstance in our lives for our good.  I can almost feel the refining and purifying taking place.  His plan for our lives is so much greater than our human minds can comprehend.

I'm so thankful for His word that is a balm to my soul!  He reminds me in 1Corinthians 15:58, to "Stand firm.  Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."  

He then speaks to me about where my focus is at.  It is so easy to get consumed with the here and now.  Some days I feel  weak and start to have a pity party for myself, dwelling on all of the needs around me and forgetting how BIG my God really is.

"Since then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things of above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."  Colossians 3:1-2
So how do I live each day in His fullness?  I must set my mind on His Greatness!
I must "be Transformed by the renewing of my mind" Romans 12:2 
I must remember His words that He speaks to the weary:

"Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired.  His understanding is inscrutable.  He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power."  Isaiah 40:28-29
"So that you will be...strengthened with all power according to His glorious might."      Colossians 1:10-11
"Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us...."  Ephesians 3:20

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."  Phil 4:13


I must BELIEVE that the only way to heal weariness is to focus on His mighty strength.  I must Believe that His strength is at work IN me.  I must believe that:


"I have all I need for today.  The needs of our day are great, but God is greater and we call Him Providence because we believe:  He always provides.  {And when God provides, He should be praised, and if God always provides, shouldn't praise always be on the lips?}" ~Ann Voskamp

I'm still learning how thanksgiving produces joy and how I should be thankful in ALL circumstances.  So, here is my offering of thanks for today:

  • To be able to be at home 24 hours a day with the ones I dearly love.
  • For the freedom our country has to be able to educate my children.
  • To observe their strengths and weaknesses on a daily basis.
  • To have my children by my side all day, every day.
  • To learn, along with my children, the greatness of His creation.
  • The knowledge that the Lord will fill in the gaps.
  • That His strength is made perfect through my weaknesses.
  • For His sovereign GRACE when I mess up and don't get everything done to perfection.
  • To be transparent with my loved ones, showing them that I am still a work in progress.
  • For growing pains.
  • Love from my children, even when I am unlovely.
  • For six healthy, cheerful, beautiful blessings to care for. 
  • A very supportive and encouraging husband.
  • Learning to lean on Him more and more.
  • Him, gently showing me I need to get my eyes off of myself and fix them firmly onto Him
  • My weariness doesn't even compare to most in this world.
  • Transformation!!!

Still learning how to REST in the Lord,
~Jennie

    1 comment:

    The Adams Family said...

    We are all still learning to rest in the Lord! I am so grateful that His mercies are new every morning! I for one surely need them:) All of the different seasons of life can be a challenge or a special blessing...Im so grateful that the Lord gives us grace to walk through each one. God bless,Dana