Thursday, October 27, 2011

Hog Butchering Part 1: Saying Goodbye


It was a rainy spring evening.  All eight of us gather in the excursion, pulling a trailer.  We were amateurs and had never raised hogs before.  As we cross the Indiana border heading to a life stock auction, we remind our children again;  these pigs that we will bring home tonight are being bought to raise and then eat.



We tried to suggested that they pick names like Pork Chop or Tenderloin.  Instead they choose Tulip, Hungry, Scardy and Curly.




No matter how hard we tried to prepare them for it, saying good-bye was harder than any of us thought it would be.



Rylie took it the hardest.  Hungry was her favorite.  He let her ride, stand and sit on him any time she pleased.  She was grieving for him hours before the appointed time.  

 

3 comments:

Traci said...

Ahhhhh, sweet baby. I wish I could wipe those tears. :/

I love you all and miss you!

Traci

The Adams Family said...

OOH! Sweet!

Rebecca @ heartland farmhouse said...

So hard! It's always easier when ya don't know your food! I always had a hard time eating my beloved bunnies! I'd get all gaggy...
Some how chickens not so much!