Saturday, August 20, 2011

Trying New Things

This year we planted some new vegetables in the garden.  So I had to learn how to preserve them.

Pickled Beets


To find a recipe for them, click on the above link.  I used a pressure cooker instead of a hot water bath.  It isn't necessary to do so, I just prefer the pressure cooker.

My sister-in-law Debbie called during this process and asked if I had ever heard of making Beet Jelly with the juice from the beets.  I hadn't but it sparked some curiosity...so I found this recipe.

Beet Jelly


Again, to find the recipe I used, click on the above link.  I did water bath these for 10 minutes and they sealed very nice.

Banana Peppers


Banana peppers sliced (I take out as much seeds as I can)
1-2 tsp. minced garlic for each pint
1/2 tsp. alum or 1/8 tsp. crisp granules per pint
1 qt. vinegar
2 qt. water
1/4 c. sugar
salt

Cut up the rings and pack in clean pint jars.  Then add garlic and alum or granules.  Then in a large pan bring the rest of the ingredients to a boil.  Pour boiling water over the peppers.  Wipe the ring of your jar and place a hot lid and ring on top.  Set on counter and they will seal as they cool.  This recipe made 7 pints.

This recipe came from my best friend Jerilyn.  I found it to be one of the easiest recipes as far as preservation.  Have I told you that I LOVE banana peppers?  Oh yes!  I use them on pizza's, sandwiches, hot dogs, salads and more.  So far I have been able to put up 17 pints and my plants are still promising more.  :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Everything looks beautiful!
I have never tried pickled beets. So far hubby is the only one in our family who will eat them. My mom has been keeping him supplied with a few jars each year, saving me the time. I suppose I'll need to learn sometime :)

Jerilyn said...

Thanks for the link !!!
I can't wait to try the beet jelly!

Flower Patch Farmgirl said...

Pickled beets and banana peppers are two of my favorite things on this good earth. No joke! We must be soul sisters. :)

Christy said...

I taught myself to can this year and so everything is new! I just canned the beets plain - I am not a big fan of pickled beets. We made tomato jelly - I love that there is a use for perfectly good food that would otherwise be thrown away. The beet jelly sounds interesting!