Saturday, August 20, 2011

Stewed Tomatoes

Our tomatoes are just starting to come on.  One of my favorite ways to prepare them is to stew them for soups in the winter.


4 qt peeled, chopped tomatoes
1 c. onion, chopped
1 c. green pepper, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1 T sugar
2 t salt

Bring a pot of water to a full boil.  Place approximately 5-6 tomatoes in (I prefer Roma) the water to scald for 3 minutes or until skin starts to split.  Pull them out and place in cold water.  When cool enough to handle, peel the skin off and dice.  Add all ingredients to a large soup pot.  Mix well and bring to a boil.  Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.  Then fill your clean jars with the mixture.  Put your lids (that have been in hot water) on and seal.  I pressure cook these for 5-10 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.  I'm sure you could use a hot water bath if you prefer that method.  This recipe makes 9 pints or 5 quarts.

My Grandma  Angle gave me this recipe about 6 years ago.  She told me that her sister Mary gave it to her.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

thanks for sharing! I am hoping to have more tomatoes coming in in the next week or so...mine are super late this year!

Jo F. said...

Just found this recipe on Pinterest and this is almost exactly what we do--except I don't cook the mixture. I just cold pack in jars and then can in the pressure canner as you do. Aren't home canned stewed tomatoes wonderful? When you open a jar it smells like summer. Thanks for posting this and have a great day! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Awesome recipe. I added a bit of garlic powder .

Anonymous said...

wish i would of seen it sooner...mine are all done today...

CarolC said...

I also make stewed tomatoes when I have an overflow. Sometimes I have so many I can't keep up, so I just put them in a bag in the freezer until I can get to them. By doing this, I can also make batches as I run out of jars through the year. If you do this, you can just run them under hot water and peel the skin off, then cut the stem out when you are ready to use them. They are easy enough to chop as they thaw (semi-frozen is best), but I usually just put them in the pot and crush them with my hands.

I make a variety of canned tomatoes, all of which have the list of ingredients above, but with additions: Italian style (with Italian seasonings); garlic and basil, garlic, Mexican (jalapenos, onion, garlic, poblanos, cumin, oregano), plain (tomatoes only) and just standard stewed tomatoes. I don't add sugar to any of them, but I do add about 4 TBS of lemon or lime juice to every jar.