Friday, August 26, 2011

Body Image

In between the business of living a full life, I've found some time (usually late at night) to read a new book.  Loving The Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches By Rachel Jankovic.

This is an easy read with 20 short chapters jam packed with soul refreshing and challenging material.  She also has a great sense of humor which makes me smile through most of it.  Maybe because I've lived out some of the scenarios she describes of having a lot of little children in a short amount of time, or maybe it's just because I'm in agreement of what she states.  Whatever the reason, I highly recommend you read this if you have little children in your care.

I would like to take some time and talk about an important topic that she brings up, body image.

"Our bodies are tools, not treasures."
"Motherhood uses your body in the way that God designed it to be used."
"We are not to treat our bodies like museum pieces.  They were not given to us to preserve, they were given to us to use.  So use it cheerfully and maintain it cheerfully.  When you are working hard to lose the baby weight (as you may need to), think of it as tool maintenance.  You want to fix your body up in order to be able to use it some more.  It might be used for more children, or it might be used to take care of the children you have.  We should not be trying to fix it up to put back on the shelf our of harm's way or to try to make ourselves look like nothing ever happened.  Your body is a tool.  Use it."
"Scars and stretch marks and muffin tops are all part of your kingdom work.  One of the greatest testimonies Christian women can have in your world today is the testimony of joyfully giving your body to another."

My fruit and I, enjoying an evening at the Darke County Fair, one week before my due date with Miss Madeline Jane

This spoke volumes to me!  I knew it in back of my mind but never heard it said quite so well.  I wish I had read this book years ago when I first started having babies.  Some of us may have a harder time than others at loosing the weight.  I noticed that either the older I got or the more children I had, the weight took longer to come off.  She encourages us to:

"Carry the extra weight joyfully until you can lose it joyfully.  Carry the scars joyfully as you carry the fruit of them.  Do not resent the damages that your children left on your body.  Just like a guitar mellows and sounds better with age and scratches, so your body can more fully praise God having been used for His purposes.  So don't resent it, enjoy it."

'Joyfully carrying my fruit'

 I hope this spoke to you like it did me.

6 comments:

laura said...

Thanks, I needed that! I've been bemoaning (to myself, but still..) the weight that is packing itself in undesirable places as I carry this sweet fruit in my womb! A good perspective....joyfully carry it until you can joyfully lose it...

Dana Adams said...

Congratulations on the arrival of your newest blessing!
In Christ, Dana Adams

Jedidja said...

Thanks fo it!

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing! I have the book but have not read it yet. You've inspired me too. :)

heartland farmhouse said...

You're right!
That was well said!
I've been experiencing the peace of the thought that...this time I have MORE of a reason to loose weight! It's NOT just to look pretty anymore...this time it's so I'll have more energy for my kids...my husband...myself. So I'll feel healthier & pretty is just a bonus side effect! ;)
Thanks for sharing!

Momma of 4 said...

WOW!! Very well said.