Thursday, July 28, 2011

Two Helpful Hints


1.) If you have some of these sitting around....


Then you need one of these.

This is a home made gnat catcher.  All you need is:
-a pint jar or glass or vase (something small)
-apple cider vinegar
-water
-piece of paper
-scissors
-tape

Place a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the jar.  I use 2 parts vinegar to 1 part water.
Take your paper and make a cone shape.  Make sure the hole is large enough for them to crawl into but small enough not to escape.  Take the overlapping edges and trim your paper.  I set my jar in the window sill near my produce.  This works wonderfully!


2.)  If you have plants that should look like this but are having a hard time coming out of a dry spell (even though you water every day).  Then try this trick:

My Grandma Angle taught me to reach for the Epson Salts.  I know, it sounds crazy...but it works.
I put about 1/3 c. Epson Salt into the bottom of a watering can.  Fill the can with water and douse the plant with the mixture.  You will be amazed what it will do for your plant in just a few short days.

Hope you enjoy these 2 helpful hints.  :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing these tips with us at The Becoming Kitchen!

Kathy Shea Mormino said...

http://pinterest.com/pin/143481938099644252/