Wednesday, July 6, 2011

To Love Their Children

"The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed."  Titus 2:3-5

Here are some ways that the Lord has taught me over the years to love my children:


~Teach your children to love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul and mind.  "Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up."  Deuteronomy 11:19  This should be our basis of all education.  We desire to learn because we are in awe of God's creation.  We will never regret using our time to teach them the ways of the lord.  "For I have no greater joy then to hear my children are walking in the truth." 3John 1:4

~ Love your husband.  Fill the home with peace and joy by full-heartily loving their father.

~ Train your children.  God directs us to do so.  Then they will bring much delight to you and to others. 
"He that spareth his rod hateth his son, but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes."  Proverbs 13:24
"Foolishness  is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction  shall drive it far from him." Proverbs 22:15
"The rod and reproof give wisdom, but a child left to himself bringeth his mother shame." Proverbs 29:15
 ~  Keep their hearts.  Truly listen to them.  It's easy for us moms to give instructions, but it's a lot harder to listen to our children.  They need to know that we want to hear what they have to say.  Find some time to spend one on one with your child so you are able to invest in his/her heart.  Here are some ideas I have found.  "The woman who invests in a child's life will be the one the child loves and with whom the child bonds."  Debi Pearl

~Work along with your children.  Make it a goal to never work alone.  Sweep together, weed together, can, snap beans, laundry, dust, cook, all together.  This is how they learn to do these things and you have more opportunities for heart investing.

~Smile.  Show your children that you have much delight in them by smiling at them throughout the day.  Loving on them and smiling at them shows them just how much joy they bring to you.

Here are some resources that have challenged me over the years:
Shepherding A Child's Heart By: Tedd Tripp
Train Up a Child By: Michael and Debi Perl
Don't Make Me Count To Three By: Ginger Plowman
Keeping Our Children's Hearts By: Steve and Terri Maxwell

2 comments:

Kim said...

Jennie,

As you put God first and honor your husband this in and of itself will transform your children.

To know that you love God and your husband is so important and reassuring to your little ones.

Guiding the children, teaching, caring, working, smiling, loving and just giving them your time and heart means the most.

All children know if they are important to their parents. I ask mine if there is anything that takes me away from them.....and they tell me!! I continually need to lay aside things that pull me away from my role as a wife and mother.

Your children are a blessing and so fun!! I really enjoyed my week at camp getting to know them better. Hi Riley!!

Trust in God and lean on him and you will become the mother he wants you to be.

~Kim

Jedidja said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I learn a lot from your. And I feel a little embarrassed/ashamed/beschaamd. I am a Christian mom. But often I make mistakes and unfortunately I let opportunities pass to talk about God with my children. But I'm starting again.
Groeten/greetings!