When we first started assigning chores to our children, I could come up with lots of ideas for the older ones. I wanted the little ones to be able to participate too. I wanted them to learn at an early age that we are a team and many hands make light work. The problem was trying to come up with chores that I felt were age appropriate to keep my little ones busy.
Here are some ideas that we have come up with over the years for children ages 2-4.
- Empty silverware from dishwasher
- Place a napkin at every plate during meal time
- Collect hangers and bring to laundry room
- Wipe down bathroom sink with a Lysol wipe (more for a 4 year old)
- Straighten bedroom
- Teach them to start making their own beds (don't expect perfection)
- Help mom switch clothes from washer to dryer
- Help mother hang clothes on line by handing her clips or clothes
- Water flowers with a mini watering can
- Fold wash cloths and towels
- Put their dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket
- Put their clean clothes away
With every chore, we must take the time to instruct how to do it. We can teach them or have an older sibling who has mastered that chore, instruct their younger sibling on how to do the job well.
Children loved to know that they are needed. They are a valued member of the team!!! Lots of praise goes along way. I will be posting soon on how to make each child his/her own chore book or pack.
I would love to hear some of your ideas to keep little hands busy with chores.