Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chore Ideas For Little Hands

 
When we first started assigning chores to our children, I could come up with lots of ideas for the older ones.  I wanted the little ones to be able to participate too. I wanted them to learn at an early age that we are a team and many hands make light work.  The problem was trying to come up with chores that I felt were age appropriate to keep my little ones busy.  

Here are some ideas that we have come up with over the years for children ages 2-4.

  • Empty silverware from dishwasher
  • Place a napkin at every plate during meal time
  • Collect hangers and bring to laundry room
  • Wipe down bathroom sink with a Lysol wipe (more for a 4 year old)
  • Straighten bedroom
  • Teach them to start making their own beds (don't expect perfection)
  • Help mom switch clothes from washer to dryer
  • Help mother hang clothes on line by handing her clips or clothes
  • Water flowers with a mini watering can
  • Fold wash cloths and towels
  • Put their dirty clothes in the dirty clothes basket
  • Put their clean clothes away
With every chore, we must take the time to instruct how to do it.  We can teach them or have an older sibling who has mastered that chore, instruct their younger sibling on how to do the job well.

Children loved to know that they are needed.  They are a valued member of the team!!!  Lots of praise goes along way.  I will be posting soon on how to make each child his/her own chore book or pack.

I would love to hear some of your ideas to keep little hands busy with chores.

4 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

We do many of those things too. I also have the little ones empty the bathroom garbages and feed the goats.

Kim said...

I believe the best chores are the ones done right along side their parents and older siblings. This encourages fellowship throughout the family unit and we are able to correct wrong attitudes.

Many years ago, I started writing the rooms that needed cleaning on pieces of paper. The children were to choose a room and clean it. They would have to pick up books, toys, blankets, pillow, sweep, dust, wipe mirrors, clean toilets, do dishes, gather trash and so on. They learned to clean the whole house basically. When they were 2-4, I would work along side them and show them how to do it and soon they were tackling the jobs themselves. And yes, they got soap and water everywhere and may have missed some popcorn along the way, but they're children.

The children also help with mating socks, folding towels, and stacking wood for Daddy. They rake and do a lot of outside chores, too.

This may not work for other families but it has worked well for a family of mostly boys.

Kim

Gail said...

Thank you for sharing this also! I struggle finding age appropriate chores for my kids! Great list!

Julianne said...

my littlest one (age 3)loves to help, I do a lot of these suggestions for her, I'll also spray a little window spray on a rag and let her wipe off the smudges on the windows. And for the older ones I'll have them clean off the toys from the front porch and sweep it too.