Monday, June 13, 2011

Chore Flip Book

Our Morning Chore Books consist not only of chores but of simple task such as; getting dressed, brushing teeth, combing hair, etc.  This cuts down on a lot of instructing in the mornings.  Every child knows what is expected of him/her and what they should be doing next.

I first wrote down every child's name and assigned them age appropriate chores.

Then I took a picture of each child doing each of their chores.  Here are some examples:

Bailie collecting the laundry

Jack collecting the hangers

Rylie collecting the eggs

Sam brushing his teeth

Lillie washing the sink and counter tops with Lysol wipe.



Notice I had them smile to remind them that they should work with a cheerful heart as unto the Lord.  Of course some of their smiles took a little more effort than others. :)

Then I uploaded all those pictures to Walmart Photo.  You could use your favorite photo printing place.  Then I choose to make a flip book.  This allows the children to easily turn the page/chore that is completed to the back and move onto the next one.  They run  between $4.00 - $5.00 each.

Walmart allows you to arrange the pictures in the order you want them and add a caption to each one like; 1.  Eat Breakfast, 2. Get Dressed, 3. Put PJ's Away, etc.

Another option would be to get the pictures printed and place each one in a zip-lock baggie.  Then attach the baggies together, tying them with yarn.  Either way, each child has his/her own chore book.

I took Terry Maxwell's advice and have the children do the same chores for at least 1 year.  Once the year is up and I feel they have mastered the chore, then I will allow them to train their younger sibling to do that chore and be trained by an older sibling to do another chore.

Now, we have our chore books and all the excitement has worn off.  How do I keep my children motivated to be faithful with his/her responsibilities?  That's another post for another day.  :)

12 comments:

Angela said...

thanks for sharing :)

Christie said...

Really cute idea! I've been trying to think up something creative for my littles, since I only have one reader right now... This would definitely work! Thanks for sharing!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I saw Terry Maxwell speak on this. She had some really good ideas. I like the cards that they wear, too. I just have a list on the fridge. I help the little ones read their list, but the others are on their own. It works great!

Homestead Living said...

Our older ones are on their own as well. I help the younger ones or assign a buddy to help depending on the morning. :)

Gail said...

Great idea! I go back and forth on the 'chore charts' that I use. I've found the biggest thing actually doing it! My children (4 and under) still need quite a bit of instruction. I think the pictures would be very helpful in getting them to be a bit more independent!

Kim said...

Jennie,

The boys really like your blog and to see the new friends they've made.

I think picture chore charts are the answer for children. It helps them see what needs to be done and what is expected. You are a good mother to teach your children to manage a home.

And let the children know that I need to be reminded to smile when I'm doing chores also. I sometimes forget.(smile)

Have a great day.
Kim

Amanda said...

great idea!

Kaye Swain - SandwichINK for Grandparents and Caregivers said...

What a GREAT idea. Thanks so much for sharing this. I wish I'd thought to do this decades ago with my own kids. With something concrete to point to, I bet it definitely makes chore time much easier. :)

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good said...

Great idea! We never did the photos in our early years, but I drew pictures of the chores.

venba said...

Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!




Picture Flipbook

Julie said...

How creative! Thank you so much for sharing with us at The Becoming Kitchen. Stay tuned for your feature this Friday...

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing..