Monday, May 9, 2011

Pruning

Today I found myself pruning a geranium that was given to me last year from a mother-daughter banquet.  I have kept it indoors and it has added beauty to our home during the winter and now during these dark rainy days.

It got me thinking about how God is still tenderly pruning me.

"He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.  Remain in  me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." John 15:2-4

Here is how the dictionary describes pruning:  to remove (dead or superfluous twigs, branches, etc) from (a tree, shrub, etc), esp by cutting off.

Superfluous...

1.  being more than is sufficient or required; excessive.

2.  unnecessary or needless.

3.  Obsolete . possessing or spending more than enough or necessary; extravagant.

I believe that there are many ways the Lord prunes me;
  • By showing me areas in my life that I use my time unwisely that are taking away from my most important calling.  Being excessive in my doings.  These may be good things or even ministries.  But there is a time and a season for everything.  
  • By being in His word, He is always revealing areas in my life that need improvement.  Areas that I fall short in.  Areas that He wants beautify in me.
  • Then there are some areas in my life that are just plain life-less.  My sinful nature wants to hold on and hope that I can make it flourish one day.   Those areas He wants to just cut off!  

Lord,  I pray that you will never stop pruning me.  That you will continue to re-shape me, nurture me like a tender plant and prune me to be more fruitful for your kingdom.   Even though I feel pretty chopped up with a few open wounds,  I know that this is part of your growing process to make me more beautiful.  Thank you for loving me enough to not let me stay the same way I was first planted. 

I have found strength in this song and it has become my prayer when those wounds start to ache.
Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and Holy Tried and True
And With Thanks Giving
I will be a living
Sanctuary, Lord for you 


~Jennie
 

2 comments:

Homestead Living said...

Sorry for those of you who got 3 postings of this. I am learning to not post things for several days until I have edited several times. :)

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I am in the process of being pruned. It is so painful, but is necessary for continued growth. I never want to stop growing. Pruning is just part of that process. I want the Lord to cut away the dead stuff so that I can continue to grow and grow and grow in the Lord!